One-Stop Shop for Business Supplies
Sustainability Focus Continues..
Recycled glass generates 20% less air pollution and 50% less
water pollution. A glass container takes a million years to even begin to
decompose, the fact is glass can be recycled an infinite amount of times. 9% of
household waste is glass.
Preserve Raw Materials
For every ton of glass recycled it will save over a ton of raw materials from
being used, including 1,300 pounds of sand, 433 pounds of soda ash, 433 pounds
of limestone, and 151 pounds of feldspar. One ton of recycled glass saves the
equivalent to 10 gallons of oil in energy.
• Recycling one glass container saves enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for four hours.
• Producing a ton of glass from 100% raw materials creates 384 pounds of mining waste. Using 50% recycled glass cuts this waste by about 75%.
• Recycling glass lowers the melting temperature and saves 32% of the energy needed for production of new glass.
• In 2009, about 26 percent of glass in the municipal solid waste stream was recovered for recycling.
• Glass recycling increased from 750,000 tons in 1980 to more than three million tons in 2009.
“Glass is 100% recyclable and can be recycled endlessly without loss in quality or purity – something few food and beverage packaging options can claim. “